What is the ED/FACEM/GP Critical Procedures Course?
Many FACEMs report de-skilling in critical procedures due to ED workload demands, prioritisation of “traffic/flow management”, supervision/teaching responsibilities and WBA/DOPS requirements of trainees.
The FACEM Critical Procedures Course has been designed to provide FACEMs with an opportunity to refresh and update their procedural skills in a fun and relaxed environment on a single day course.
FACEMs can complete all triennial procedural CPD requirements in one day, whilst also updating procedural knowledge and skills. The course is accredited for 7 hours of ACEM CPD (Category: Group Learning, Activity Type: Workshops and Training – Procedural skills-based).
This is a 1-day course for:
- Consultant Emergency Physicians (FACEMs)
- Senior ED Registrars/Advanced Emergency Medicine Trainees
- NB: Rural Generalist GP’s and Advanced ACRRM and RACGP Trainees may also find the course valuable
The course is limited to a maximum of 12 participants only. This ensures you receive individualized, focused teaching of important procedural skills. The course uses a combination of short interactive lectures/discussions and hands-on procedure training.
NB: This course is not suitable for Interns or Resident Medical Officers.
Topics/procedures covered on the course:
- Airway checklist use (plan A/B/C/D approach)
- Apnoeic oxygenation
- Bougie use
- Cricoid pressure: pros/cons
- External Laryngeal Manipulation
- Video laryngoscopy (King Vision video laryngoscope)
- Laryngeal Mask Insertion
- Surgical Airway: scalpel-finger-bougie
- Needle-cric/jet insufflation
- Traumatic vs spontaneous pneumothorax diagnosis and management
- Chest decompression: needle vs scalpel/finger
- Large bore intercostal catheter insertion
- Small bore Cook pneumothorax set
- Underwater seal drain setup
- Ventilator modes
- Oxylog 3000 troubleshooting
- Difficult ventilation cases
- Extubation checklist
- Intra-osseous needle insertion (EZ-IO) and Rapid Infuser Catheter (RIC) insertion
- Pelvic Binder Application
- Femoral traction splinting: Donway/CT6
Details on the new ACEM CPD Program can be found here.
What else is included?
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- Optional pre-reading (pdf course manual)
- Certificate of course completion
How do I register for a course?
Click on the Register now button below and you will be directed to the registration/payment page.